Did you know that nearly half of all eye injuries happen in the home? Your home should be a safe place for your family to enjoy, but certain activities could be putting your eyesight at risk. Many of these common eye injuries could have been prevented by being proactive with safety practices.
5 Eye Safety Tips
Home eye injuries often occur due to cleaning chemicals or trauma from toys with small parts. Additionally, injuries often occur outdoors with the use of lawnmowers and gardening tools. Here are a few tips to help you avoid these problems:
- Wear Safety Glasses: If you will be exposed to any type of projectile, make sure to wear safety goggles or glasses. These glasses can be helpful to protect your eyes from shavings, wood chips, electricity, chemicals, and more.
- Don’t Mix Chemicals: Read the warning labels on cleaning products or any other chemicals used in the home. Be diligent about washing your hands before touching your eyes. Never mix products together without knowing it is a safe mixture to use.
- Use Caution in the Yard: Before you start running the week whacker or lawnmower, check the yard to make sure you aren’t going to run over items that could be flung at dangerous speeds.
- Storing Dangerous Items: Since tools and cleaning products can be dangerous for children, keep these products in the right storage areas. Minimizing access decreases the likelihood that a child might damage their eyes.
- Minimize Tripping Dangers: A fall can damage your eyesight in an instant if your eye hits against something. Remove items that could cause someone to trip, such as rugs or electrical cords. Also, make sure handrails are installed in locations with steps or stairs.
If an eye emergency occurs, then it is essential to seek medical assistance right away. If a foreign object penetrates the eye, then you should visit the nearest emergency room for treatment. Feel free to call our office any time if you have questions about general eye care and services. Call our Murrieta office at (951) 600-9226, or our Temecula office at (951) 302-1331.